Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Great Commentary on How We Live Our Modern Urban Lives.

Here's an interesting article that I found linked on Jared Jones' blog Simple Subjects.

I have often thought that a truly conservative, Christian, and pro-environment thing to do is rethink our urban planning. I love mass transit and alternative modes of transportation (carpools & bicycling etc.) and I love urban life. But I also love the freedom that driving a car affords you. I completely support the idea of "infill building," but hate the long term effects that the Urban Growth Boundary have given us.

In my mind, I'm constantly having a debate. I don't believe in limiting the use of someone's property, or in telling people that they can only have a garage of a certain size, or even changing zoning to eliminate parking spaces in areas of downtown, but I do think we need to encourage responsible use of our resources and space. Telling a business, property owner or developer for example, that they can't build more than a certain amount of parking, but they have to have a generous amount of covered bicycle parking is insane.

Anyways, this is a source of never ending debate, and I doubt if I will ever be satisfied with my own conclusions on these matters, let alone anyone else's.

No comments: