Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Home At Last

Two and a half days of driving, 2200 miles, approximately 230 gallons of gas and I couldn't tell you how many bathroom breaks (we have a 7 month old puppy) and WE ARE HOME !! Ironically, we had beautiful weather the whole way, right up until we hit the Oregon - Idaho border. It felt so nice to stop and feel the rain.

I hope to make the drive again sometime, when we have the time and money to stop and spend time in some of the places that thought looked interesting. I remember saying that on the way down there too.

Some of those places we saw on the way down to Texas that I would like to return to were:
  • Boise, ID
  • Twin Falls, ID
  • Ogden, UT
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Cedar City, UT (We broke down and spent 3 good days there, and we got to see Brice & Zion Canyons, but I would really like to go back.)
  • The Hoover Dam (we drove over it at night)
  • The Grand Canyon
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • West Texas
Some of those places we saw on the way back from Texas that I would like to return to were:
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Denver, CO & surrounding area
  • Ogden, UT
I will have to write more extensively about this subject at a later date because I really think that a lot of people never really get out of their local area and sea how other people live, other than to pass through on their way to some vacation resort. If people would go to other locals and actually spend time with locals, they would have a much better understanding of why our country is the way it is. I'm thinking of liberals that spend their entire lives on the west cost, and actually believe that everyone thinks the way they do. On the other hand, my wife has family members who have never been more than a couple of hundred miles away from Houston. Thus they don't think Houston is a dirty polluted place.

By the way, what is up with the 55 & 65 mph speed limits in Oregon. We drove 75 mph the whole way here, through 6 other states, but you come across the bridge into Ontario, OR and bam, 55 mph. I know it's been this way since I first started driving, but isn't it time we caught up with the rest of the country? Sounds like another good topic to write about at a later date.

No comments: