Thursday, January 23, 2003

Feast or Famine -- How Hungry is Oregon?
Here's a great article in Brainstorm Magazine about Oregon's sapposedly poor. It shows how young single mother can make $500.00 a month, pay no taxes (and probably get more in the form of a refund than her annual income), and still live as good or better than a married couple each making Oregon's median income.
Now, I don't have a problem with her. The help and programs are there, why shouldn't she take advantage of them? What I have a problem with is people who are always talking about the poor and hungry in Oregon, and how we don't do enough to help them out. What more are we sapposed to do? I know college grads who don't live this well. Then, to add insult to injury, they want to raise my taxes? Why? To help more people who make less than me live better than I do?

No comments: